[Make-wifi-fast] [Cake] fiddling with variable bandwidth (emulating wifi rate control) with cake and flent

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sat Aug 1 07:11:01 EDT 2015

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> 2) sqm-scripts has changed dramatically since I last used it. What I
> used to use on debian was:
>
> IFACE=eth0 QDISC=codel UPLINK=x DOWNLINK=y ./simplest.qos
>
> what do I now?

Hmm, running from the git directory is not explicitly supported right
now. But if you do 'sudo make install' you should be able to do
IFACE=eth0 QDISC=codel SCRIPT=simplest.qos UPLINK=x DOWNLINK=y /usr/lib/sqm/start-sqm

If you define the variables in platform/linux/sqm.conf to something
reasonable, you could conceivably run it from the git checkout as
well...

> 4) flent needs to be able to sample at faster rates than it does.
> (theres a bug filed on this). I'd like to be able to see in detail the
> roughly 3 second period where
> the latency goes up when the bandwidth goes down.

This is more a limitation of the underlying tools. Not sure it's readily
solvable; I would rather not run things as root...

> 5) the qdisc stats code needs to work on openwrt (can't, no fractional sleep)
> (I keep threatening to rewrite this in c)

Well hopefully those threats will turn into reality at some point ;)

> 6) bugs in the qdisc_stats plots, from sampling, to code output, to
> the last 2 plots,

Will look this over.

-Toke