[Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] [tsvwg] Comments on draft-szigeti-tsvwg-ieee-802-11e

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:22:04 EDT 2015

Here's where I display my massive ignorance of how Linux networking/drivers work. This feels like a place to apply the Nagle algorithm... Maybe everyone already understands this, but, isn't this scheme something like what we're looking for?

- Initial state: all queues (fq_codel and wifi driver) are empty.

- A packet arrives at fq_codel, it's placed in the proper queue for its flow, and the wifi driver gets tapped on the shoulder that there's something to send.

- Sometime later, the wifi driver has bid for and received an opportunity to transmit.

- At that time, the wifi driver requests packets from fq_codel until a) the the fq_codel queues are empty, or b) the wifi frame is full. In either case, the wifi driver sends what it has.

- If more packets remain in the fq_codel queue(s), the wifi driver gets tapped on the shoulder again to start another transmission.

Good Attributes:

- The wifi driver has no "queued packets" per se - only those it pulled from fq_codel for immediate transmission.

- Once the transmit opportunity has come around, it's a matter of microseconds (I assume) to pull in a wifi frame's worth of packets from fq_codel

- A singleton packet (e.g., one widely separated in time from all the other traffic) gets sent as soon as it can, without waiting in hopes "that more traffic will arrive" This leaves the wifi utilization unchanged (since the singleton packet would have to be sent anyway), but avoids the delay for that particular flow.

Downsides:

- Most likely, "It doesn't work that way". :-)

- The wifi driver would probably have to queue the single last-retrieved packet from fq_codel when it doesn't fit in the wifi frame. But this would be an immediate signal to bid for another transmit opportunity.

Rich