[Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] this was a pretty comprehensive guide to how the 5.x spectrum is actually used

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Sep 12 14:14:24 EDT 2015

Hi Dave,

On Sep 12, 2015, at 15:52 , Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7022123531
>
> starting at section 2.82 around page 27.
>
> based on this, I am inclined to drop the "just fix the weather radars"
> idea from the fcc comment letter. But a bit more thought and analysis
> is needed, as to what infringes on th existing bands or not....
>
> This one talked about DFS compliance.
>
> http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/pdf/ECCREP192.PDF

	This is pretty rotten, instead of simply harmonizing the regulations world wide, they obviously went for requiring DRM and country codes. As if DVD Blue Ray had not amply proven that that does not work. It would be arguably a better solution to exempt devices from these draconian regulations that simply left the disputed frequencies alone (say by a hardware filter so can only be overridden by soldering). The whole thing is pretty funny when it pretends the solution would be to either impose country regulatory requirements by IP-geolocation or GPS (*). As if both methods were anything close to tamper proof. Not that it matters much I would simply go with heavy fines for people (purposefully) using devices outside of the regulation permitted parameters. In the end the proposed schemes also need a enforcement department and fines to back it up, so why do all the pseudo-technical DRM-done-wrong stuff beforehand… (Especially puzzling why DRM since the radar interference sources seem to allow “triangulating” the source close enough to send in the RF-compliance monitoring vans)

(*) on the other hand a mandatory GPS receiver in each wlan router should finally settle the getting the correct time in devices without a RTC ;)