[Make-wifi-fast] On the ath9k performance regression with FQ and crypto

Dave Täht dave at taht.net
Tue Aug 16 19:16:33 EDT 2016

On 8/16/16 10:47 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> Do you have tcpdumps of
>
> 1) sample with crypto
>
> 2) sample without crypto.

decrypted aircaps (ssid: borgen-public key: mysecret) for 1 flow and for
2 flows are at:

http://www.taht.net/~d/fqcryptbug/

There are also regular captures...

flent results for all test scenarios comparison graphed here:

http://www.taht.net/~d/fqcryptbug/cryptvsfqwndr3800.svg

Total throughput degrades somewhat relative of the total number of flows
in the crypted scenario - 80 mbits total with one flow. ~35 with 12.

(elsewhere: 120mbit without encryption, with fq, any number of flows,
and you can see codel working at least somewhat)

> Looks like some TCP Small queue interaction with skb->truesize, if GSO
> is involved, or encapsulation adding overhead.

My own suspicion has been around breaking the block ack window, or on
misunderstanding how complex aggregates are hw/sw retried.