[Make-wifi-fast] Software rate limiting with fq_codel for point-to-point WiFi backhaul links

Noah Causin n0manletter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 10:47:00 EST 2016

Having fq_codel built-into the mac80211 layer allows you to use the max
rate of the device with low latency.

The Ubiquiti Powerbeam M5-400 is 5Ghz and most likely has an ath10k,
since the 300 has one.  You could probably just use a LEDE build with
the ath10k fq_codel patch.

The only alternative I can think of is to have a passive router with
Cake's autorate_ingress feature.

It automatically estimates the bandwidth of incoming traffic and sets
its rate-limiter to slightly below that to control the queue.

If you like, I can build you an x86 virtual machine with that setup.
You can run that on your PC1 and have it sitting in front of the Voyage
Linux VM to test Flent over WiFi.

The limitation is that it only estimates incoming traffic, so you would
have to deploy it at points you receive traffic.

Noah Causin