[Make-wifi-fast] [Cerowrt-devel] more well funded attempts showing market demandfor better wifi

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Jun 27 02:34:26 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

On June 27, 2016 2:00:55 AM GMT+02:00, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>I don't think anyone is trying to do simultanious receive of different
>stations.
>That is an incredibly difficult thing to do right.
>
>MU-MIMO is aimed at haivng the AP transmit to multiple stations at the
>same
>time. For the typical browser/streaming use, this traffic is FAR larger
>than the
>traffic from the stations to the AP. As such, it is worth focusing on
>optimizing
>this direction.
>
>While an ideal network may resemble a wired network without guides, I
>don't
>think it's a good idea to think about wifi networks that way.
>
>The reality is that no matter how good you get, a wireless network is
>going to
>have lots of things that are just not going to happen with wired
>networks.
>
>1. drastic variations in signal strength.
>
>On a wired network with a shared buss, the signal strength from all
>stations
>on the network is going to be very close to the same (a difference of
>2x would
>be extreme)
>
>On a wireless network, with 'normal' omnidirctional antennas, the
>signal drops
>off with the square of the distance. So if you want to service clients
>from 1 ft
>to 100 ft away, your signal strength varies by 1000 (4 orders of
>magnatude),
>this is before you include effects of shielding, bounces, bad antenna
>alignment,
>etc (which can add several more orders of magnatude of variation)
>
>The receiver first normalized the strongest part of the signal to a
>constant
>value, and then digitizes the result, (usually with a 12-14 bit AD
>converter).
>Since 1000x is ~10 bits, the result of overlapping tranmissions can be
>one
>signal at 14 bits, and another at <4 bits. This is why digital
>processing isn't
>able to receive multiple stations at the same time.

      But, I you add 10 Bits to your AD converter you basically solved this. Now, most likely this also needs to be of higher quality and of low internal noise, so probably expensive... Add to this the wide-band requirement of the sample the full band approach and we are looking at a price ad converter. On the bright side, mass-producing that might lower the price for nice oscilloscopes...

Best Regards
       Sebastian