[Make-wifi-fast] more well funded attempts showing market demandfor better wifi

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Jun 27 18:18:43 EDT 2016

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016, Bob McMahon wrote:

> While the 802.11 ack doesn't need to do collision avoidance, it does need
> to wait a SIFS, send a PHY header and its typically transmitted at lower
> PHY rate.   My estimate is 40 us for that overhead.  So yes, one would have
> to get rid of that too, e.g. assume a transmit without a collision
> succeeded - hopefully negating the need for the 802.11 ack.

don't forget that while there is teh 802.11 ack, there is also the TCP ack that
will show up later as well.

> (It does seem the wired engineers have it much easier per the point/point,
> full duplex and wave guides.)

yep. even wireless is far easier when you can do point-to-point with highly
directional antennas. Even if you don't do full duplex as well.

It's the mobility and unpredictability of the stations that makes things hard.
The fact that Wifi works as well as it does is impressive, given the amount
things have changed since it was designed, and the fact that backwards
compatibility has been maintained.

David Lang