[Make-wifi-fast] per sta queuing - the ath9k statistics

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 00:01:44 EST 2016

I have put together some of the patches for fq_codel and per-station
queuing inside the mac80211 portion of the stack flying around on
linux-wireless, to no real visible effect as yet.

Mostly testing uploads at the moment, from an x86 based client. It's
not clear if I have the code path enabled, either, nor how to check,
from userspace. (?) Topology is

x86 <-wifi-> wndr3800 <-ethernet-> pi

Latency is still poor, throughput is down slightly. I will start
printk-ing tomorrow.

I do have a few puzzling things

A) re the ath9k statistics

At the client (ubuntu x86, 4.5-rc7 + patches, Atheros AR5418 Wireless
Network Adapter [AR5008E ) I see

http://pastebin.com/rvKJnc1y

AMPDUs Queued HW:            0          0         0         0
AMPDUs Queued SW:            0          0         0         0
AMPDUs Completed:      1098389       7050     14967         0

At the AP (cerowrt 3.10.50) I see

http://pastebin.com/RTt7MNT6

AMPDUs Queued SW:      3009455     364214    557331         0
AMPDUs Completed:      2961055     363353    556982         0
AMPDUs Retried:         115311       7833     21489         0

In both cases the TX-Pkts-all is close to the  AMPDUs completed figure.

B) In the regular packet captures I see no tcp losses. I can see in an
aircap wifi retrying for every lost packet.

C) I do not see any ECN marks (presumably would be generated by the
codel implementation.)

D) I do see things nicely "fq"'d on the captures but that might be by
cerowrt rather than the ieee mac

E) tc qdisc show dev wlp2s0 shows the tc layer qdisc disabled

qdisc noqueue 0: root refcnt 2

which does imply that at least part of the new codepath is working,
but there are no stats out of that side yet...

Ah, well, at least the patchset compiled and didn't crash the box.

https://www.gofundme.com/savewifi