[Make-wifi-fast] [bufferbloat-fcc-discuss] On building your own routers and the mass market

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 18:52:49 EST 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:09, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > the cznic team has already done this.
> >
> > https://omnia.turris.cz/en/
>
> I am rooting for them, also, hard! They've made all the right choices
> technically and it's (aside from the wifi, currently) the best chipset
> possible from an open source perspective

Even then it's not easy, I'm using a similar Marvell in a project (not
a CPE or AP) and they were not keen to support it (they want netgear
quantities) so it's handy what cznic are doing. Much appreciated

Here's a video I recorded of their UKNOF presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCfVC01HR0

> It would be my hope, that with another year's worth of software
> development that their design would be suitable for more mass market
> CPE, particularly to ISPs in the fiber space

That's how I found them, I have another project (a FTTH install)
that I'd love to use that as the CPE but at this stage it's way
over our budget (I'm not saying it's too expensive as it's fine
given their volume).

> - but who knows - with serious volumes, on a standardized platform
> that gets 100ks of deployments by ISPs, manufactured for the long
> term, the omnia's costs could drop significantly enough to be
> competitive with cheap crap

I'm hoping that happens I we can use it as CPE

brandon