[Make-wifi-fast] fq_codel_drop vs a udp flood

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun May 1 01:23:39 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:

> On 04/30/2016 08:41 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>> There were a few things on this thread that went by, and I wasn't on
>> the ath10k list
>>
>> (https://www.mail-archive.com/ath10k@lists.infradead.org/msg04461.html)
>>
>> first up, udp flood...

The qdisc version returns  NET_XMIT_CN to the upper layers of the
stack in the case
where the dropped packet's flow = the ingress packet's flow, but that
is after the
exhaustive search...

I don't know what effect (if any) that had on udp sockets. Hmm... will
look. Eric would "just know".

That might provide more backpressure in the local scenario. SO_SND_BUF
should interact with this stuff in some sane way...

... but over the wire from a test driver box elsewhere, tho, aside
from ethernet flow control itself, where enabled, no.

... but in that case you have a much lower inbound/outbound
performance disparity in the general case to start with... which can
still be quite high...

> Any idea how that works with codel?

Beautifully.

For responsive TCP flows. It immediately reduces the window without a RTT.

http://blog.cerowrt.org