[Make-wifi-fast] QoS and test setups

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 7 17:49:38 EDT 2016

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> results on the short tests). I *think* that most of the difference in
> performance is due to noise on the test (the 120ms burps downward in
> bandwidth caused by something else) , and some of the rest can be
> accounted for by more measurement traffic, and probably all the rest
> due to dql taking too long to ramp up.
>
> The long term result of the fq_codel wifi patch at the mac80211 layer
> was *better* all round, bandwidth stayed the same, latency and jitter
> got tons better. (if I figure out what was causing the burps - they
> don't happen on OSX, just linux) - anyway comparing the baseline
> patches to the patch here on the second plot...
>
> http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/predictive_codeling/
>
> Lovely stuff.
>
> But the short term results were noisy and the 10s of seconds long dql
> ramp was visible on some of those tests (sorry, no link for those yet,
> it was in one of michal's mails)
>
> Also (in flent) I increasingly dislike sampling at 200ms intervals,
> and would prefer to be getting insights at 10-20ms intervals. Or
> lower! 1ms would be *perfect*. :) I can get --step-size in flent down
> to about 40ms before starting to see things like fping "get behind" -
> fixing that would require changing fping to use fdtimers to fire stuff
> off more precisely than it does, or finding/writing another ping tool.
>
> Linux fdtimers are *amazing*; we use those in tc_iterate.c.
>
> Only way I can think about getting down below 5ms would be to have
> better tools for looking at packet captures. I have not had much
> chance to look at "teacup" as yet. tcptrace -G + xplot.org and
> wireshark's tools are as far as I go. Any other tools for taking apart
> captures out there? In particulary, aircaps of wifi traffic,
> retransmits, rate changes have been giving me enough of a headache to
> want to sit down and tear apart them with wireshark's lua stuff... or
> something.
>
> It would be nice to measure latencies in bulk flows, directly.

> I've long figured if we ever got to the basic isochronous test on the
> 10ms interval I originally specified, that we'd either revise the rrul
> related tests to suit (the rrul2016 "standard"),  or create a new set
> called "crrul" - "correct rrul".
>
> We have a few isochronous tests to choose from. there are d-itg tests
> in the suite that emulate voip fairly well. The show-stopper thus far
> has been that doing things like that (or iperf/netperfs udp flooding
> tests) are unsafe to use on the general internet, and I wanted some
> form of test that negotiated a 3 way handshake, at least, and also
> enforced a time limit on how long it sent traffic.
>
> That said, to heck with it for internal tests as we are doing now.
>
> We have a few simpler tools than d-itg that could be built upon. Avery
> has the isoping tests which I'd forked mildly at one point, but never
> got around to doing much with. There's also things like what I was
> calling "twd" that I gave up on, and there's a very prisice

precise "owamp" thing, part of the internet2 project. I had used it
for a while (had a parser for it, even, because I preferred the raw
data). I had basically forgotten about it because it is not packaged
up for debian, and
has a few issues with 64 bit platforms that I meant to poke into.

I did enjoy trying to get it running a few minutes ago.

root at dancer:/usr/local/etc# owampd
owampd[19846]: WARNING: No limits specified.
owampd[19846]: Running owampd as root is folly!
owampd[19846]: Use the -U option! (or allow root with the -f option)

http://software.internet2.edu/owamp/details.html

I think I'd (or stephen walker) had packaged it up for cerowrt, but as
we never got gps's into the hands of enough users (and my testbeds
were largely divorced from the internet) I let the idea slide. Toke's
testbed has fully synced time.

now that gpses are even more cheap (like a raspi pi hat), hmm....

Grump, it doesn't compile on aarch64....

There is something of a great divide between us and the perfsonar project.

They use iperf, not netperf, they work on fedora, not ubuntu...

and last I recall they were still stuck at linux 2.6.32 or somesuch.

anyone booted that up lately?

http://blog.cerowrt.org