[Make-wifi-fast] Thoughts on tackling airtime fairness

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Wed May 11 08:55:22 EDT 2016

Toke,

I'd suggest to add this in you list of references:

Godfrey Tan and John Guttag, Time-based fairness improves performance in
multi-rate WLANs. In Proc of USENIX 2004
https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/usenix04/tech/general/full_papers/tan/tan.pdf

It's worth having a look to the APware project for freeBSD and Godfrey Tan
PhD thesis at MIT.

http://nms.csail.mit.edu/projects/apware/

this work predates 802.11n and aggregation.

Ten years ago I played with SFQ and madwifi for 802.11g
to get max-min time fairness (and so proportional rate fairness) with
excellent results.  The hacking I made was based on
using time quanta instead of bytes. Which required me to
get the current PHY rates (AP to all STAtions) and dynamically
compute/update SFQ time quanta.

It's surprising that 802.11 standard never considered time fairness in the
EDCF. A reason might be the time fairness might be enforced using the PCF.

IMO, It's a very good topic.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Luca