[Make-wifi-fast] Thoughts on tackling airtime fairness

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed May 11 11:20:34 EDT 2016

On Wed, 11 May 2016, David Lang wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2016, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>
>> Luca Muscariello <luca.muscariello at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>  Do you happen to recall what precision you achieved or how much the
>>>  precision was really important? Several papers seem to assume that very
>>>  high precision is not terribly important since it all evens out in the
>>>  end, and I can see how that could be true; but would like to have it
>>>  confirmed :)
>>>
>>> what do you mean with precision?
>>> Do you mean in measuring the PHY rate? Short term vs long term
>>> measurements? else?
>>
>> Yes, in measuring the rate. Was this a per-packet thing, and were you
>> actually able to get information sufficiently accurate to achieve the
>> desired level of fairness? And by what mechanism? Was this in the driver
>> or higher up in the stack?
>
> I expect that if you were able to change this even once/sec and account for
> the rate you would be far better than what we have now.

by the way, I have logs from the last two scale conferences of the /sys data
per-station showing the rate info. if you give me a way to send you the multi-G
file you can look through it to see how rapidly the rate changes for a given
station under real-world high-user-density conditions.

I suspect that the biggest problem right now is that the higher level scheduling
isn't accounting for "station X is at rate 1, station Y is at rate 100" and is
trying to be 'fair' by sending the same amount of data to each of them.

David Lang