[Make-wifi-fast] Thoughts on tackling airtime fairness

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 11 12:41:11 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Luca Muscariello
<luca.muscariello at gmail.com> wrote:
> Correct, but in between that time and now a lot has been done in different
> areas but not much on this point.
> The fact that some part of the industry is looking at LTE-U is also because
> 802.11 standard is not good enough.

What do you think of LTE-LAA?

I do think very strongly that actual usage of 802.11 can be made
vastly more efficient, that we can use up a great deal of the mac
currently being left unused, and schedule txops way more efficiently -
and that I'd love to test with michal's patch set against the LTE-U
tests cablelabs, etc which did

100 stations before (stock):

http://blog.cerowrt.org/flent/drr/10tothe5.svg

after

http://blog.cerowrt.org/flent/drr/newcode.svg

I became mortally opposed to LTE-U (lacking exponential backoff and
ignoring sparse station behavior, as well as today's crappy wifi
drivers - along with some very dubious benchmarks), but have not poked
much into LTE-LAA.

I freely admit to loathing the 802.11 mac, and IF LTE-LAA could be as
open, accessible and usable to ordinary users as wifi was, would be
more embracing of it.

> On Wednesday, 11 May 2016, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 11 May 2016, Luca Muscariello wrote:
>>
>>> It's surprising that 802.11 standard never considered time fairness in
>>> the
>>> EDCF. A reason might be the time fairness might be enforced using the

http://blog.cerowrt.org