[Make-wifi-fast] Thoughts on tackling airtime fairness

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Thu May 12 04:21:55 EDT 2016

I share your skepticism about beam forming. It depends of course on the kind
of usage you make of wifi. If it's to cover a city in a small cell
optimized deployment
I don't think beam forming is going to help. When cell traffic is high only
TDMA can help.

If you use beam forming to reach non mobile users and traffic is not to
high it's going to
give best performance.

Both are valuable use cases with economic incentives behind.
The first one is more difficult and time fairness is gonna help a lot there
as the average cell throughput is gonna be a lot better.

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Luca Muscariello
> > <luca.muscariello at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Correct, but in between that time and now a lot has been done in
> different
> >> areas but not much on this point.
> >> The fact that some part of the industry is looking at LTE-U is also
> because
> >> 802.11 standard is not good enough.
> >
> > What do you think of LTE-LAA?
> >
> > I do think very strongly that actual usage of 802.11 can be made
> > vastly more efficient, that we can use up a great deal of the mac
> > currently being left unused, and schedule txops way more efficiently -
> > and that I'd love to test with michal's patch set against the LTE-U
> > tests cablelabs, etc which did
> >
> > 100 stations before (stock):
> >
> > http://blog.cerowrt.org/flent/drr/10tothe5.svg
> >
> > after
> >
> > http://blog.cerowrt.org/flent/drr/newcode.svg
>
> Seeing "only" 250ms worth of delay for 100 stations here was what
> kicked off a prior thread, my understanding of a theoretical base
> number here would be about 70ms. (?)

I miss many details about these tests. And probably I missed the thread...
Can you give me pointers?