[Make-wifi-fast] Thoughts on tackling airtime fairness

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Thu May 12 04:48:29 EDT 2016

On 12 May 2016 at 10:40, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> I actually have hopes that it will help in the (fairly common) case of
> multiple stations streaming video from the Internet at the same time. If the
> AP -> endpoint traffic can send to multiple stations in the same txop, it
> can greatly reduce the amount of airtime needed.
>
> unfortunantly, from what I hear, the factory AP firmware breaks down if
> there are more than about a dozen stations connected, just as it becomes the
> most valuable.

FWIW There are some firmware changes in some recent ath10k for qca99x0
hardware which involves firmware performing more sophisticated
scheduling coordinated with the host driver (not sure how much of it
is available publicly, yet). The host driver exposes queue depth of
each station/tid and firmware asks host to submit frames to given
station/tid within advertised byte/packet limits.

This is supposed to be "fast" even with up to 50 MU-MIMO clients. I
didn't really get to test it fully from a latency point of view with
flent yet (and I only have 10 MU clients at my disposal currently).

MichaƂ