[Make-wifi-fast] [Codel] fq_codel_drop vs a udp flood

Agarwal, Anil Anil.Agarwal at viasat.com
Tue May 3 11:37:12 EDT 2016

This problem is also caused by some weaknesses in the Codel algorithm itself.
With an unresponsive UDP flow, one would expect Codel to naturally drop packets from the rogue queue and maintain a queuing delay close to the target delay value.
But it does not.
If you were to do a simple simulation of a single queue Codel, with say a 10 Mbps link and a UDP flow at 20 Mbps, you will see queue delay oscillate between 5 milliseconds and 10+ seconds, over periods of ~30 seconds.
There are ways to fix this, if there is interest in doing so.

Anil