[Make-wifi-fast] what is the right way to do, and rationale, for wifi channel scans?

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 23:19:00 EDT 2016

wpa_supplicant?  I've seen some atrocious behavior from wpa_supplicant in
the past (especially the closed-source versions from some chipset
companies).

One reason it's likely to be scanning is that it's looking for alternate
APs for the same SSID, which are "better".

I saw one implementation that would do an all-channel wildcard ssid scan
(elicting a response from every AP in range), and then would proceed to
scan every channel for just the ssid it was configured to use (hardcoded in
the wifi config).  Why it was doing a broadcast for all APs, I don't know.
But once you get enough APs in a small enough area, that behavior causes a
broadcast storm as the probe responses (all at 1Mbps) flood the air, and
then cause other STAs to miss beacons, and re-scan, and it death-spirals
from there.

-Aaron