[Make-wifi-fast] flent adds more text output

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Nov 20 10:55:36 EST 2016

Hi Toke,

> On Nov 20, 2016, at 12:17, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>>> On Nov 19, 2016, at 19:10, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> While I have always encouraged people to "go right to the graphs", I
>>> have generally
>>> wanted a bit more text output to make email comms easier, and toke has
>>> just added
>>> some basic output stats to flent in git head.
>>
>> 	Is that pushed to github yet? I tried a git pull but got nothing new. Testing with:
>> date ; ping -c 10 netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net ; ./run-flent --ipv4 -l 60 -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net rrul_cs8 --remote-metadata=root at 192.168.1.1 -p all_scaled -D . -t IPv4_SQM_LLA-simple-fq_codel-ETH_OH16_U095pct9545of10048K-D90pct46246of51385K_2_netperf-eu
>> did not give any stats. So is the output generic or restricted to
>> specific tests?
>
> No, it only happens if you don't select another output format; in this
> case a plot. You can select this the summary formatter explicitly (and
> thus turn off plots) by passing '-f summary'. Works when loading a
> previous data file as well…

Ah, now git pull acyually got me something new and without a -p directive I also see the stats output, great! Now I actually do wonder how hard it would be to add
a measure of variance, say the standard deviation or the standard error of the mean to the output (to qualify the average, which probably is the arithmetic mean, which might be worth noting in the header column). And finally for the latency probes, I believe maybe the 95th or 99th percentile would be closer to what we recommend people looking at? (I note that I typically start my flent runs with 10 un-contended ICMP echo requests from the command line to get a reasonable idea what the best case RTT actually is, a similar value could be extracted from the start of the flent run before the data streams have started?) I guess instead of writing emails I should actually look and write code… (maybe I find tie to look into that). Final questions why is this output mutually exclusive with plots?

Best Regards
	Sebastian