[Make-wifi-fast] net-next is next

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 15:05:42 EDT 2016

OK, so the only thing I don't have a full grip on is what the
napi-for-ath10k change did.

My plan next week (sometime) would be to reassemble the various pieces
for ubuntu,
for the x86 apu2 (ath9k, ath10k) and laptop (ath9k). If there's
something that can work on lede, groovy, the boxes I have readily
available are ubnt uap-lite and archer c7v2.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm a little vague on the pieces missing as yet. I think?, still out
>> of tree are:
>
> Don't see anything missing from the list that I have been working on. Of
> the things I have:
>
>> * Hooking up the ath9k to the intermediate queues code
>
> I expect Kalle to add this sometime during the upcoming merge window
> (which opens tomorrow, according to the PHB crystal ball:
> http://phb-crystal-ball.org/).
>
>> * airtime fairness for the ath9k
>
> Haven't submitted a new version of this since the other things went in.

Patches somewhere?

> While the basic scheduler works well, there are still some things to
> work out before making a serious attempt at upstreaming it (most notably
> the interaction with the hardware QoS queues).

I was more or less planning to ignore that. Nobody else bothers to
test flooding the hardware queues, why should we? :/ And the behavior
is better now, regardless. Can't we ignore it? :-P

>Also, moving parts of the
> code into mac80211 would make it easier to re-use in other drivers. Not
> sure which parts, though.

same here. Pursuing another chipset (like the mt76 or "c.h.i.p") might
lend insight. Sigh.

>> * Codel "hack" for low rates
>
> This still needs to be solved, but the hack I posted previously was just
> that: A hack. I think a different approach is needed.

I outlined a couple approaches in my previous (overlong, meandering)
blog entry ( http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/a_bit_about_bbr/ ) -
notably, "giving up" - and turning off codel at a decent sized
aggregate for the station, rather than at the global limit of one
packet.

And there were a few much easier things from layering on top of the
airtime fairness stuff that might make the impact of multiple stations
on codel less difficult - reducing the txop and reducing the
advertised txop - when highly contended.

Assembling enough pieces to tackle and test those approaches at slow,
middle, and fast rates... would be good, and hopefully I've got a grip
on which pieces, now, thx.

>> As for what's in lede.... ?
>
> LEDE has the previous version of the mac80211 fix and the ath9k patch to
> enable the TXQ.

That's lede, not lede-staging?

http://blog.cerowrt.org