[Make-wifi-fast] Questions from the Windows world, IQrouter, etc

Jon Pike jonpike54 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:47:23 EDT 2016

Have been watching and appriciating all the progress going on...  wish I
had a better understanding and better coding skills to contribute somehow.

Don't know if this is the best place to bring it up,  I certainly don't
want to get in the way of Real Work going on...  but on my last few visits
to DSLreports  Speed test page, I've seen an ad for the IQrouter...
http://evenroute.com/

This new?  Any connection with FQ-Codel,  etc?  By the definition, sounds
like they may be rolling their own,  with the dynamic measuring and
adjusting.  At the very least it's a prominent and pretty well described
mention of Bufferbloat problems and what can fix them.  Apologies if this
is old news, but I hadn't seen them or the ad before.  It's also
interesting in that I've been looking for a good router upgrade,  and
looking at TP-LINK C5 and C7s...  and the IQrouter looks exactly like a
C5,  except for the N900 on the right edge. (rather than AC1200)  Must have
lucked into a huge warehouse of early models?

A noobish question I have,  is how much influence does the client side of a
network have on the overall link quality?  Have been setting up a few wifi
connections in the house,  and have noticed drastic differences in the
amount of bloat between two PC's.  Two different USB dongles,  and of
course two different positions.  Have yet to swap the two adapters, which
would make it a fair test.  But I wondered how much influence the
adapter/driver has on overall flow?  And yes,  these are Windows machines,
which brings up another question, how much difference might there be in a
Linux/Win setup, vs Linux/Linux?  Or, is that a territory that needs to be
explored?

In that case,  perhaps someone can point me to an equivalent to "FLENT for
Dummies".