[Make-wifi-fast] crypto-fq bug postmortem is up

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:26:04 EDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Loganaden Velvindron
<loganaden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 1:42 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> at:
>>
>> http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/crypto_fq_bug/
>>
>> I am very interested to try to remember more of the suggestions, and
>> blind alleys, and why we thought they were possibilities... and draw
>> more conclusions as to what we did right, and wrong.
>>
>> Please comment, and send links.
>>
>> If I have more time, I'll make it shorter. Or funnier. And add more
>> pictures, captures, and links. Finding this bug *eventually* got to be
>> fun.
>>

> My home network:
>
> FTTH modem (bridge) --- tp-link archer c7
> (pppoe+sqm+simple_pppoe(fq_codel)+ap) ---- (lan cable) --- tp-link
> archer c7 v2 with the experimental firmware(ap):
> Quick and dirty test:
>
> on non-patched openwrt wifi(wpa-psk):
> https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5028614
>
> on tp-link archer c7 v2 with toke's firmware(wpa-psk):
> https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5028349
>
> My brother said that "It feels like ethernet both in terms of
> throughput and latency". My brother is hammering the the tp-link
> archer c7 box with bittorrent, whatsapp, viber, and normal http.

Testing on my android smartphone (android 6.0.1):

Unpatched ap:
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5028965

Patched ap:
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5028940

On smartphones, it looks like you can get better throughput with
toke's firmware.