[Make-wifi-fast] WireGuard Queuing, Bufferbloat, Performance, Latency, and related issues

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:18:11 EDT 2016

Dear Jason:

Let me cross post, with a little background, for those not paying
attention on the other lists.

All: I've always dreamed of a vpn that could fq and - when it was
bottlenecking on cpu - throw away packets intelligently. Wireguard,
which is what jason & co are working on, is a really simple, elegant
set of newer vpn ideas that currently has a queuing model designed to
optimize for multi-cpu encryption, and not, so much, for managing
worst case network behaviors, or fairness, or working on lower end
hardware. There's a lede port for it that
topped out at (I think) about 16Mbits on weak hardware.

http://wireguard.io/ is really easy to compile and setup. I wrote a
bit about it in my blog as well (
http://blog.cerowrt.org/post/wireguard/ ) - and the fact that I spent
any time on it at all is symptomatic of my overall ADHD (and at the
time I was about to add a few more servers to the flent network and
didn't want to use tinc anymore).

But - As it turns out, the structure/basic concepts in the mac80211
implementation - the retry queue, the global fq_codel queue with per
station hash collision detection - seemed to match much of wireguard's
internal model, and I'd tweaked jason's interest.

Do do a git clone of the code, and take a look... somewhere on the
wireguard list, or privately, jason'd pointed me at the relevant bits
of the queuing model.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason at zx2c4.com> wrote:
> Hey Dave,
>
> I've been comparing graphs and bandwidth and so forth with flent's
> rrul and iperf3, trying to figure out what's going on.

A quick note on iperf3 - please see
http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2016/09/iperf3-and-microbursts.html

There's a lesson here in this, and in pacing in general, sending a
giant burst out of
your retry queue, after you finish negotiating the link, is a bad
idea, and some sort of pacing mechanism might help. And rather than
pre-commenting here, I'll just include your last mail to these new
lists:

http://blog.cerowrt.org