[Make-wifi-fast] Flent test hardware

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 07:13:35 EST 2017

I'm currently using an AMD APU system on an AsRock mini-ITX board as my
primary computer.  That happened to come with Atheros network hardware,
both wired and wireless.

With a little effort, it could be squeezed into a very small case indeed,
and the major components can probably be found on clearance since the Ryzen
release.  APUs' CPU cores are hardly state of the art, but quick enough for
this sort of job and sometimes very cheap indeed.

The m/board model I have is FM2A88X-ITX+.  Note that the later "/ac" model
goes back to a Realtek wired chipset.  If you can stand a larger form
factor, the FM2A88M Extreme4+ R2.0 is another option to compare on price,
though it doesn't come with a wifi card.

In the current AsRock lineup for the AM4 socket, it appears that some
models in their Fatal1ty line use Intel NICs.  Pair one of those with a
Bristol Ridge APU for now, and you'll be able to upgrade to Zen based Raven
Ridge APUs, expected to be easily twice as fast, when they become available.

- Jonathan Morton