[Make-wifi-fast] Flent test hardware

Pete Heist peteheist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 16:41:04 EST 2017

> On Nov 5, 2017, at 8:42 PM, Bob McMahon <bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com> wrote:
>
> The realtek is definitely not ideal.   The test needs to watch the ptp stats to make sure the corrections are stable over the life of the test and throw out bad results per test equipment introducing too much error.
>
> Qualifying a NIC for use in test equipment is a bit of a pain.  My rationale is to avoid consumer grade products, rather leverage the work of engineers that qualify equipment for data centers, i.e. the data center market is driving the vendor.   I find the INTC server class NICs to be the best for this so far.

I figured as much, and might take it into account that you’re steering me towards those NICs. I’m pretty sure the I350T2V2 would work well, so I started another build with it, despite the price:

https://www.senetic.cz/product/I350T2V2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6u7YkKKo1wIVqwrTCh0anguMEAAYASAAEgK3O_D_BwE <https://www.senetic.cz/product/I350T2V2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6u7YkKKo1wIVqwrTCh0anguMEAAYASAAEgK3O_D_BwE>

My latest thought is, if I get a good dual port NIC and go at least a bit higher-end with the CPU, I shouldn't need a second device, and time synchronization won’t be an issue, so it could save some effort. I’ll try a few more options, sleep on it and thanks everyone for the help!