[Make-wifi-fast] How to figure out Linux wifi queue and ath10k queue scheduling?

Louie Lu nctu at louie.lu
Wed Nov 22 06:58:25 EST 2017

Hi all,

I'm a graduate student in NCTU, Taiwan.

I'm working on making VoWIFI performance more better on ath10k driver,
my first thought is that I can modify queue scheduling algorithm
inside ath10k.

After tracking the commit log, it seems currently ath10k is using
mac80211 as an intermidieate queue[1][2], and as [2] indicate, ath10k
is not able to do airtime fairness now.

After reading the source code and [2], what I think about the queue in
Linux to ath10k is:

1. Mac layer queue (mac80211)
2. ath10k 802.11e priority queues (4 queues, with different 802.11e ToS level)
3. ath10k firmware (HW) queue

Am I right on this?

Also, I saw the make-wifi-fast google docs[3], it has a plan for
obsolete VO queue, is that still in the roadmap, or it is implemented,
if not, where can I help for it?

Thanks,
Louie.

[1]: https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2016/ocw/system/presentations/3963/original/linuxplumbers_wifi_latency-3Nov.pdf