[Make-wifi-fast] less latency, more filling... for wifi

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Fri Oct 13 14:47:19 EDT 2017

Hi Toke,

The other thing that will cause the server thread(s) and listener thread to
stop is -t when applied to the *server*, i.e. iperf -s -u -t 10 will cause
a 10 second timeout for the server/listener thread(s) life.   Some people
don't want the Listener to stop so when -D (daemon) is applied, the -t will
only terminate server trafffic threads.   Many people asked for this
because they wanted a way to time bound these threads, specifically over
the life of many tests.

Yeah, summing is a bit of a mess.  I've some proto code I've been playing
with but still not sure what is going to be released.

For UDP, the source port must be unique per the quintuple (ip proto/src ip/
src port/ dst ip/ dst port).  Since the UDP server is merely waiting for
packets it doesn't have an knowledge about how to group.  So it groups
based upon time, i.e. when a new traffic shows up it's put an existing
active group for summing.

I'm not sure a good way to fix this.  I think the client would have to
modify the payload, and  per a -P tell the server the udp src ports that
belong in the same group.  Then the server could assign groups based upon a
key in the payload.

Thoughts and comments welcome,
Bob