[Make-wifi-fast] [RFC v2 1/4] mac80211: Add TXQ scheduling API

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Aug 29 05:24:38 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-08-29 at 11:22 +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

> > We're also working on adding a TXQ for (bufferable) management packets
> > - I wonder how that should interact here? Always be scheduled first?
>
> Ah, cool! It may be that it should be given priority, yeah. Presently,
> the multicast queue just rotates in the RR with the others, but is never
> throttled as it doesn't have an airtime measure (though perhaps it
> should)? But that might not be desirable for management frames, as
> presumable those need to go out as fast as possible?

Good question. I guess the multicast should have an airtime measure, but
I don't think we want to do accounting on the management. That really
should be few frames, and we want them out ASAP in most cases.

> Hmm, I seem to recall thinking about just putting the call to
> schedule_txq() into drv_wake_tx_queue; don't remember why I ended up
> dropping that; but will take another look at whether it makes sense to
> combine things.

I was thinking the other way around - but that doesn't work since you'd
loop from the driver to itself. This way might work, I guess, hadn't
considered that.

Might be better anyway though to make a new inline that does both, since
the drv_() calls usually really don't do much on their own (other than
checks, and in one case backward compatibility code, but still)

johannes