[Make-wifi-fast] [RFC v2 2/4] mac80211: Add airtime accounting and scheduling to TXQs

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Aug 29 06:14:30 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-08-29 at 11:27 +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

> Hmm, the problem with a higher weight is that weight*quantum becomes the
> time each station is scheduled, so having a higher value means higher
> latency. This could be fixed by replacing the station weights with
> per-station quantums, but I felt that this was exposing an
> implementation detail in the API; if we ever change the enforcement
> mechanism to not be quantum-based (as may be necessary for MU-MIMO for
> instance), we'll have to convert values in the kernel. Whereas weights
> are a conceptual measure that is not tied to any particular
> implementation.

Ok, but that's also an effect you should describe in the API for it.

Perhaps then it should just be fractional? i.e. 8.8 bits or so?, so the
default would be 1.0 (0x0100) and then you could scale down to 0.5
(0x0080) etc?

> For the drivers that get airtime as part of TX completion, sure; but as
> I understand it, at least ath10k gets airtime information in out of band
> status reports, so there would need to be a callback for that in any
> case...

Hmm, ok, but perhaps then we should also tie those to the existing
airtime things?

johannes