[Make-wifi-fast] tcp_pacing_rate_shift and smaller txops

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:44:58 EDT 2018

wifi APs have the ability to advertise in the beacon, the actual
maximum time of a txop for clients, and 802.11n, for example, cannot
queue an aggregate in the VO queue. the otherwise lovely
tcp_pacing_rate shift thing sets this to a fixed 4ms, when perhaps it
could leverage the actual setting for the queue in question, at least,
as defined by the beacon or 802.11e standard.

I've long thought that perhaps a gaming wifi router would advertise
smaller txops, and for all I know, some do.

this is currently controlled by cwmin and cwmax parameters in hostapd

# Best effort
#tx_queue_data2_aifs=3
#tx_queue_data2_cwmin=15
#tx_queue_data2_cwmax=63
#tx_queue_data2_burst=0

I did a lot of fiddling with this (lowering it to 1,1.5,2ms,3ms,4ms)
at one point (that I cannot currently find). It hurt bandwidth but
helped latency, a lot, and this was from before we shipped fq_codel
for wifi.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619