[Make-wifi-fast] mesh deployment with ath9k driver changes

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Mon Jul 9 19:33:19 EDT 2018

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 9:14 PM, bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> N.b.: It's a pity that networking trace anonymization tools aren't up
> to the challenge. Simple MAC randomization or hashing with data
> omission would be just fine for such a use case.

I set out to write a “simple” pcap anonymizer today in Go and it went smoothly with Ethernet pcaps containing IP data, but if one wants to cover radiotap + 802.11 plus all other protocols where MACs can appear it's not straightforward. Radiotap is easy to skip, but then for starters MACs appear in 802.11, BATMAN (for mesh nets), EAPOL, DHCP, TDLS, Ethernet and ARP, plus there are LLC headers to skip over. Each of these has various rules for how it expands and contracts based on certain flags. I handled 802.11 well enough with some rules on the frame control field, but when it comes to data frames there’s probably too much to handle for a simple “write it in a day” kind of tool.

I did try your scripts and tcpdump + netcat works and seems like a viable technique, though the dumps get large quickly. I’ll still consider if releasing the limited data would be possible, and I appreciate all of your analysis!

Pete