[Make-wifi-fast] [RFC v2 1/4] mac80211: Add TXQ scheduling API

Rajkumar Manoharan rmanohar at codeaurora.org
Thu Jul 12 18:40:08 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-11 13:48, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> [...]
>>> + * Returns %true if the txq was actually added to the scheduling,
>>> + * %false otherwise.
>>> + */
>>> +bool ieee80211_schedule_txq(struct ieee80211_hw *hw,
>>> +			    struct ieee80211_txq *txq,
>>> +			    bool reset_seqno);
>>> +
>>> +/**
>>> + * ieee80211_next_txq - get next tx queue to pull packets from
>>> + *
>>> + * @hw: pointer as obtained from ieee80211_alloc_hw()
>>> + * @ac: filter returned txqs with this AC number. Pass -1 for no
>>> filtering.
>>> + * @inc_seqno: Whether to increase the scheduling sequence number.
>>> Setting this
>>> + *             to true signifies the start of a new scheduling
>>> round.
>>> Each TXQ
>>> + *             will only be returned exactly once in each round
>>> (unless its
>>> + *             sequence number is explicitly reset when calling
>>> + *             ieee80211_schedule_txq()).
>>> + *
>> Toke,
>>
>> Seems like seqno is internal to mac80211 and meant for active_txq list
>> manipulation. If so, why would drivers have to worry about increment
>> or resetting seqno?
>
> The drivers need to be able to signal when they start a new "scheduling
> round" (which is the parameter to next_txq()), and when a queue should
> be immediately rescheduled (which is the parameter to schedule_txq()).
> See the subsequent patch to ath9k for how this is used; the latter is
> signalled when a TXQ successfully dequeued an aggregate...
>
> Now, you're right that the choice to track this via a sequence number
> is
> an implementation detail internal to mac80211... so maybe the
> parameters
> should be called something different.
>
>> IMHO to avoid over serving same txq, two lists (activeq and waitq) can
>> be used and always add new txq into waitq list. So that driver will
>> not worry about mac80211 txq manipulation. Please correct me If Im
>> wrong.
>>
>> ieee80211_schedule_txq
>>     - if schedule_order empty, add txq into waitq list tail.
>>
>> ieee80211_next_txq
>>     - if activeq empty,
>>          - move waitq list into activeq
>>
>>     - if activeq not empty
>>          - fetch appropriate txq from activeq
>>          - remove txq from activeq list.
>>
>>     - If txq found, return txq else return NULL
>

> Erm, how would this prevent an infinite loop? With this scheme, at some
> point, ieee80211_next_txq() removes the last txq from activeq, and
> returns that. Then, when it is called again the next time the driver
> loops, it's back to the first case (activeq empty, waitq non-empty); so
> it'll move waitq back as activeq and start over... Only the driver
> really knows when it is starting a logical "loop through all active

Oops.. My bad.. The idea is that ieee80211_next_txq process txq from
activeq only
and keep processed txqs separately. Having single list eventually needs
tracking
mechanism. The point is that once activeq becomes empty, splice waitq
list and
return NULL. So that driver can break from the loop.

ieee80211_next_txq
      - if activeq empty,
           - move waitq list into activeq
           - return NULL

      - if activeq not empty
           - fetch appropriate txq from activeq
           - remove txq from activeq list.

      - If txq found, return txq else return NULL

> Also, for airtime fairness, the queues are not scheduled strictly
> round-robin, so the dual-list scheme wouldn't work there either...

As you know, ath10k driver will operate in two tx modes (push-only,
push-pull).
These modes will be switched dynamically depends on firmware load or
resource
availability. In push-pull mode, firmware will query N number of frames
for set of
STA, TID. So the driver will directly dequeue N number of frames from
given txq.
In this case txq ordering alone wont help. I am planning to add below
changes in
exiting API and add new API ieee80211_reorder_txq.

ieee80211_txq_get_depth
      - return deficit status along with frm_cnt

ieee80211_reorder_txq
      - if txq deficit > 0
            - return;
      - if txq is last