[Make-wifi-fast] [RFC v2 1/4] mac80211: Add TXQ scheduling API

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Jul 13 09:39:55 EDT 2018

Rajkumar Manoharan <rmanohar at codeaurora.org> writes:

> On 2018-07-12 16:13, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Rajkumar Manoharan <rmanohar at codeaurora.org> writes:

> [...]
>>>>
>>> Oops.. My bad.. The idea is that ieee80211_next_txq process txq from
>>> activeq only and keep processed txqs separately. Having single list
>>> eventually needs tracking mechanism. The point is that once activeq
>>> becomes empty, splice waitq list and return NULL. So that driver can
>>> break from the loop.
>>>
>>> ieee80211_next_txq
>>>       - if activeq empty,
>>>            - move waitq list into activeq
>>>            - return NULL
>>>
>>>       - if activeq not empty
>>>            - fetch appropriate txq from activeq
>>>            - remove txq from activeq list.
>>>
>>>       - If txq found, return txq else return NULL
>>
>> Right, so this would ensure the driver only sees each TXQ once *if it
>> keeps looping*. But it doesn't necessarily; if the hardware queues fill
>> up, for instance, it might abort earlier. In that case it would need to
>> signal mac80211 that it is done for now, which is equivalent to
>> signalling when it starts a scheduler round.
>>
> Hmm... I thought driver will call ieee80211_schedule_txq when it runs
> out of hardware descriptor and break the loop. The serving txq will be
> added back to head of activeq list. no?

Yes, and then the next one will be serviced... It's basically:

while (!hwq_is_full()) {
 txq = next_txq():
 build_one_aggr(txq); // may or may not succeed
 if (!empty(txq))
   schedule_txq(txq);
}

It is not generally predictable how many times this will loop before
exiting...

>>> As you know, ath10k driver will operate in two tx modes (push-only,
>>> push-pull). These modes will be switched dynamically depends on
>>> firmware load or resource availability. In push-pull mode, firmware
>>> will query N number of frames for set of STA, TID.
>>
>> Ah, so it will look up the TXQ without looping through the list of
>> pending queues at all? Didn't realise that is what it's doing; yeah,
>> that would be problematic for airtime fairness :)
>>
>>> So the driver will directly dequeue N number of frames from given txq.
>>> In this case txq ordering alone wont help. I am planning to add below
>>> changes in exiting API and add new API ieee80211_reorder_txq.
>>>
>>> ieee80211_txq_get_depth
>>>       - return deficit status along with frm_cnt
>>>
>>> ieee80211_reorder_txq
>>>       - if txq deficit > 0
>>>             - return;
>>>       - if txq is last
>>>              - return
>>>       - delete txq from list
>>>       - move it to tail
>>>       - update deficit by quantum
>>>
>>> ath10k_htt_rx_tx_fetch_ind
>>>       - get txq deficit status
>>>       - if txq deficit > 0
>>>             - dequeue skb
>>>       - else if deficit < 0
>>>             - return NULL
>>>
>>> Please share your thoughts.
>>
>> Hmm, not sure exactly how this would work; seems a little complicated?
>> Also, I'd rather if drivers were completely oblivious to the deficit;
>> that is a bit of an implementation detail...
>>
> Agree.. Initially I thought of adding deficit check in
> ieee80211_tx_dequeue.
> But It will be overhead of taking activeq_lock for every skbs. Perhaps
> it can be renamed as allowed_to_dequeue instead of deficit.
>
>> We could have an ieee80211_txq_may_pull(); or maybe just have
>> ieee80211_tx_dequeue() return NULL if the deficit is negative?
>>
> As I said earlier, checking deficit for every skb will be an overhead.
> It should be done once before accessing txq.

Well, it could conceivably be done in a way that doesn't require taking
the activeq_lock. Adding another STOP flag to the TXQ, for instance.
>From an API point of view I think that is more consistent with what we
have already...

>> the reasonable thing for the driver to do, then, would be to ask
>> ieee80211_next_txq() for another TXQ to pull from if the current one
>> doesn't work for whatever reason.
>>
>> Would that work for push-pull mode?
>>
> Not really. Driver shouldn't send other txq data instead of asked one.

I didn't necessarily mean immediately. As long as it does it eventually.
If a TXQ's deficit runs negative, that TXQ will not be allowed to send
again until its deficit has been restored to positive through enough
cycles of the loop in next_txq().

> In MU-MIMO, firmware will query N packets from given set of {STA,TID}.
> So the driver not supposed to send other txq's data.

Hmm, it'll actually be interesting to see how the airtime fairness
scheduler interacts with MU-MIMO. I'm not quite sure that it'll be in a
good way; the DRR scheduler generally only restores one TXQ to positive
deficit at a time, so it may be that MU-MIMO will break completely and
we'll have to come up with another scheduling algorithm.

How does the firmware the airtime of a MU-MIMO transmission to each of
the involved stations?

-Toke