[Make-wifi-fast] [RFC v2 1/4] mac80211: Add TXQ scheduling API

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Jul 19 10:18:47 EDT 2018

Rajkumar Manoharan <rmanohar at codeaurora.org> writes:

> On 2018-07-13 06:39, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Rajkumar Manoharan <rmanohar at codeaurora.org> writes:
>>
> [...]
>
>>> Hmm... I thought driver will call ieee80211_schedule_txq when it runs
>>> out of hardware descriptor and break the loop. The serving txq will be
>>> added back to head of activeq list. no?
>>
>> Yes, and then the next one will be serviced... It's basically:
>>
>> while (!hwq_is_full()) {
>>  txq = next_txq():
>>  build_one_aggr(txq); // may or may not succeed
>>  if (!empty(txq))
>>    schedule_txq(txq);
>> }
>>
>> It is not generally predictable how many times this will loop before
>> exiting...
>>
> Agree.. It would be better If the driver does not worry about txq
> sequence numbering. Perhaps one more API (ieee80211_first_txq) could
> solve this. Will leave it to you.

That is basically what the second parameter to next_txq() does in the
current patchset. It just needs to be renamed...

>>> Agree.. Initially I thought of adding deficit check in
>>> ieee80211_tx_dequeue.
>>> But It will be overhead of taking activeq_lock for every skbs. Perhaps
>>> it can be renamed as allowed_to_dequeue instead of deficit.

>>> As I said earlier, checking deficit for every skb will be an overhead.
>>> It should be done once before accessing txq.
>>
>> Well, it could conceivably be done in a way that doesn't require taking
>> the activeq_lock. Adding another STOP flag to the TXQ, for instance.
>> From an API point of view I think that is more consistent with what we
>> have already...
>>

> Make sense. ieee80211_txq_may_pull would be better place to decide
> whether given txq is allowed for transmission. It also makes drivers
> do not have to worry about deficit. Still I may need
> ieee80211_reorder_txq API after processing txq. isn't it?

The way I was assuming this would work (and what ath9k does), is that a
driver only operates on one TXQ at a time; so it can get that txq,
process it, and re-schedule it. In which case no other API is needed;
the rotating can be done in next_txq(), and schedule_txq() can insert
the txq back into the rotation as needed.

However, it sounds like this is not how ath10k does things? See below.

>>> Not really. Driver shouldn't send other txq data instead of asked one.
>>
>> I didn't necessarily mean immediately. As long as it does it
>> eventually.
>> If a TXQ's deficit runs negative, that TXQ will not be allowed to send
>> again until its deficit has been restored to positive through enough
>> cycles of the loop in next_txq().
>>

> Thats true. Are you suggesting to run the loop until the txq deficit
> becomes positive?

Yeah, or rather until the first station with a positive deficit is
found.

>>> In MU-MIMO, firmware will query N packets from given set of {STA,TID}.
>>> So the driver not supposed to send other txq's data.
>>
>> Hmm, it'll actually be interesting to see how the airtime fairness
>> scheduler interacts with MU-MIMO. I'm not quite sure that it'll be in a
>> good way; the DRR scheduler generally only restores one TXQ to positive
>> deficit at a time, so it may be that MU-MIMO will break completely and
>> we'll have to come up with another scheduling algorithm.
>>

> In push-pull method, driver reports to firmware that number of frames
> queued for each tid per station by wake_tx_queue. Later firmware will
> query N frames from each TID and after dequeue driver will update
> remaining frames for that tid. In ATF case, when driver is not able to
> dequeue frames, driver will simply update remaining frames. The
> consecutive fetch_ind get opportunity to dequeue the frames. By This
> way, transmission for serving client will be paused for a while and
> opportunity will be given to others.

This sounds like the driver doesn't do anything other than notify the
firmware that a txq has pending frames, and everything else is handled
by the firmware? Is this the case?

And if so, how does that interact with ath10k_mac_tx_push_pending()?
That function is basically doing the same thing that I explained above
for ath9k; in the previous version of this patch series I modified that
to use next_txq(). But is that a different TX path, or am I
misunderstanding you?

If you could point me to which parts of the ath10k code I should be
looking at, that would be helpful as well :)

-Toke