[Make-wifi-fast] Van Jacobson's slides on timing wheels at netdevconf

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 10:09:31 EDT 2018

https://www.files.netdevconf.org/d/46def75c2ef345809bbe/files/?p=/Evolving%20from%20AFAP%20%E2%80%93%20Teaching%20NICs%20about%20time.pdf

Talking about replacing queues with timing wheels.

I will refrain from commenting other than noting A) I like it. We
essentially have limits in the OS on packet scheduling that make it
harder and harder to have sub 2ms, much less sub 10usec, queues with
the existing qdiscs and pacing systems B) that NIC support seems
needed. I can think of a lot of things I'd like to have in a NIC
(which certainly include default timestamping on rx and multiple kinds
of X-tuple hash) - but hadn't thought about replacing queues entirely!

I haven't read up on carousel yet either.

Look forward to seeing the video when it comes out.

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619