[Make-wifi-fast] NanoStation M5 anyone?

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Tue Jun 12 07:00:23 EDT 2018

> On Jun 12, 2018, at 12:24 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net <mailto:pete at heistp.net>> writes:
>
>> This is an appeal to anyone who has access to a NanoStation M5 and a little time to try to reproduce this problem and add to this post:
>>
>> https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Installation/NanoStation-M5-ping-spikes-about-once-per-second-even-just-to/td-p/2358704
>
> Does this only happen with stock firmware? I think I have reflashed all
> of mine...

Unfortunately I haven’t confirmed that, because afaik one can no longer flash unsigned firmware on AirOS devices with signed firmware (since 6.0.6 or so) without opening the case and attaching a serial cable / using tftp, but these devices aren’t mine. I just found this thread so maybe I could try to play with first downgrading to 6.0.6, then to 6.0.6 beta, then to unsigned, just don’t need to brick the device:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airOS-Software-Configuration/AirOS-v6-0-6-Firmware-Issues-and-Solutions-Downgrade-Path-and-XM/m-p/1996679#M47254

If you do have time to just try a high-rate ping to the Ethernet adapter with a recent OpenWRT/LEDE installed, that would tell me something:

sudo ping -c 5000 -i 0.001 nsm5

If it reproduces, you’ll see isochronous spikes of either 20 or 40ms around once every 900-1000ms. Might be easier to see if you add preload with “-l 100”, but you would see them either way. If you don’t have time, no sweat… :)