[Make-wifi-fast] mesh deployment with ath9k driver changes

Pete Heist pete at heistp.net
Wed Jun 13 12:01:15 EDT 2018

> On Jun 13, 2018, at 3:24 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Pete Heist <pete at eventide.io <mailto:pete at eventide.io>> writes:
>
>> I’m still waiting for the digging / cabling project to happen, which
>
> How to improve WiFi? Run cables! :D

Yes, and pave the earth right over… :)

Seriously, watching this network evolve over the years has been a 6 year lesson in incremental progress, something like:

1) 4Mbit ADSL + 802.11g
2) 4Mbit ADSL/fq_codel + 802.11g
3) 4Mbit ADSL/fq_codel + 802.11n
4) 40Mbit via P2P WiFi + 802.11n
5) 40Mbit via P2P WiFi + 802.11n 2x2
6) 40Mbit via P2P WiFi + 802.11n 2x2 / make-wifi-fast ath9k driver

This is not an enterprise, so we’ve never invested in high-end hardware, but perhaps life would have been better along the way if the entire WiFi industry had focused not on maximum single device throughput but on resolving contention, increasing responsiveness and providing fairness between multiple users. But then we can’t put “300 Mbps” on the box!

I do appreciate your ath9k driver work for moving beyond that kind of thinking, I just need to see if I can fix the other stuff getting in its way… :)