[Make-wifi-fast] emulating wifi better - coupling qdiscs in netem?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:30:40 EDT 2018

I think tossing netem entirely, ditching the slot models I added to it
last year, and going to userspace to better emulate wifi, is the
answer. Eric just suggested using the iptables NFQUEUE ability to toss
packets to userspace.

https://home.regit.org/netfilter-en/using-nfqueue-and-libnetfilter_queue/

nfqueue has batching support built in, so an arbitrary number of
packets can be released as determined by userspace.

# Crappy incorrect pseudocode for setup

stations=2

# or match on the multicast mac address

iptables -A INPUT -i veth-ap0 -d 224.0.0.0/8 --j NFQUEUE --queue-num 0

for i in `seq 1 $stations`
do
iptables -A INPUT -i veth-ap0 -d 10.0.0.$i--j NFQUEUE --queue-num $i
done

for i in `seq $stations+1 $stations*2`
do
iptables -A OUTPUT -o veth-ap0 -s 10.0.0.$i --j NFQUEUE --queue-num $i
- ($stations + 1 )
done

The wifi-emulating daemon then listens on these queues and decides
when to deliver each, and how many packets in a batch.

For wifi, at least, timings are not hugely critical, a few hundred
usec is something userspace can handle reasonably accurately. I like
very much being able to separate out mcast and treat that correctly in
userspace, also. I did want to be below 10usec (wifi "bus"
arbitration), which I am dubious about....

Maybe something "out there" already does this? ns3 comes close... I've
burned the last 4 months of my life trying to do this in-kernel...

Now as for an implementation language? C++ C? Go? Python? The
condition of the wrapper library for go leaves a bit to be desired
( https://github.com/chifflier/nfqueue-go ) and given a choice I'd
MUCH rather use a go than a C.

There is of course a hideous amount of complexity moved to the daemon,
as a pure fifo ap queue forms aggregregates much differently
than a fq_codeled one. But, yea! userspace....

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 3:57 PM, dpreed at deepplum.com
<dpreed at deepplum.com> wrote:
> I would toss netem rather than kludging around what appears to be a
> fundamental design choice made in ins conceptualization. Make a "netem2".
>

> FreeBSD has a very nice framework for emulating far more general packet
> queuing/routing/... in the kernel, called NetGraph. It's incredibly general,
> and could straightforwardly, with high performance, have modules that do
> exactly the right emulations of network structures with such blocking, etc.
> and even random delays.
>

> I know this because in my day job at TidalScale, we heavily use NetGraph to
> implement new very low level protocols, which is pretty straightforward,
> even including complex multi-adapter adaptive forwarding of our private
> protocols on 10 and 40 GigE links. Super flexible, entirely in the kernel,
> running either at real-time priority or not, in a mix.
>

> In contrast, the Linux TC framework seems very inflexible, as you've found,
> in trying to push it to do what it is not designed to do.
>

> So tossing netem might be far better. I wonder if NetGraph has ever been
> ported into some Linux kernel environment...

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619