[Make-wifi-fast] emulating wifi better - coupling qdiscs in netem?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:42:43 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Pete Heist <pete at heistp.net> wrote:

>> On Jun 17, 2018, at 6:09 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm pleased that these are apu2 results, I have some hope that a
>> heftier box can do better.
>
> I suspect 10-20x is possible on more modern, desktop class hardware.

I appreciate the optimism, but it's context switch time that dominates
here which does not scale.

>> And these are not using the bulk verdict facility?
>
> It looks like not to me. nfq_nlmsg_verdict_put is called with a single ID and I see no references to the batch verdict support there. > Presumably there are significant gains to be had there.

But: I have high hopes for the batch verdict capability, we issue a
verdict for that batch, then (wait the actual time to simulated-ly
deliver an wifi aggregate - projected cpu latency), then release the
next batch. this seems to me to be able to overlap and ignore the bus
arbitration step almost entirely.

I'll get on this myself after I'm done with the cake talk next week.
Thx for the thoughts and evaluations!

(still wish I could do it in-kernel)

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com