[Make-wifi-fast] 20 year anniversary of wifi

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Thu Sep 19 15:10:10 EDT 2019

For what it's worth, Teresa Meng (founder of Atheros) said in 2004

https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=984469

"TM: There are three basic ingredients in the technology. The first is
definitely signal processing. In the past two decades a lot of research and
industry achievements have made it possible for us to understand how to
transmit signals through a wireless medium, based on sophisticated signal
processing algorithms.

Second, in the late ’90s, it became possible to implement gigahertz RF
circuits using digital CMOS technology—the predominant technology that
people have been using for implementing microprocessors and memory.

The third ingredient is the opening up of the unlicensed band. Before 1997,
for example, a carrier would have to pay a lot of money—in the
billion-dollar range—to the government to have the right to use a bandwidth
of several megahertz for their cellphone service. In 1997, the U.S.
government opened up the 5GHz UNII band that allows unlicensed
users—everybody in the United States—to use up to 550 megahertz of
bandwidth, as long as they follow the rules.

With the availability of wide bandwidth and CMOS technology being advanced
enough to process the bandwidth at this frequency, and with the signal
processing know-how—all this created what I call the “wireless revolution”
that freed us from the previous notion that wireless communication is
expensive, inherently constrained by a low data-rate, and is scarce.
Bandwidth used to be a very scarce commodity, which is not true anymore
with the opening up of unlicensed bands. This is the path Atheros would
like to lead: to change people’s view of wireless service from
tele-communication to more of a data-communication notion where equipment
can be updated very quickly and inexpensively, and basically provide a
level field for competition."

Bob