[Make-wifi-fast] Best practice: multiple SSIDs on a radio...?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at redhat.com
Mon Sep 30 11:32:00 EDT 2019

Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for this somewhat OT question, but I know that I'm tapping into
> a mother lode of Wi-Fi knowledge...
>
> A local coffee shop wants a guest and a private network, supported by
> separate SSIDs. Is there a benefit (or would it be bad) to put the
> public network on one channel and the other network/SSID on another
> channel?

You generally can't, at least not in the same band. You could put one on
2.4GHz and the other on 5GHz, but to run multiple SSIDs on the same
radio, they generally need to be on the same channel (you can see this
by the way the openwrt config splits things into 'phy' and 'device'
config sections).

-Toke