[Make-wifi-fast] Must a WiFi link be fully loaded to get an accurate latency measurement?

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Wed Apr 1 17:16:17 EDT 2020

A few notes:

o) Bufferbloat is about queue depth and an input rate exceeding the service
rate such that a queue becomes a standing queue.
o) Latency is end/end and can mean different things. The base assumption by
many in the network engineering community is that all queuing is in the
network stack somewhere.  But if the application is held back it's
effectively a queue too. Things like RTT mostly affect TCP byte transfer.
The amount of blocking by the application isn't measured.
o) Aggregation and transmit "lazy" on a driver doesn't typically occur for
the Voice access class.  Many test driver latency with that AC as well as BE
o) iperf 2.0.14 has a trip time latency
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOGpXiAk_cc> which is write time (or start
of burst/frame) vs final read time.  This requires --trip-time as well as
synchronized clocks. It also produces bytes in progress from an application
end/end perspective using little's law
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little%27s_law>.

More iperf 2.0.14 videos here
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaqlH3a442xaZ9humrxRHGQ/videos>