[Make-wifi-fast] Anyone got a view on this?

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sun Apr 12 12:31:43 EDT 2020

Thanks, Dave. In explanation, rather than defense of MIT research in this case, I'd like to say one thing.

The pressure to hype ones results today is astronomical for professors, especially pre-tenure, but even post-tenure. Compared to my time at MIT's Project MAC that became the Laboratory for Computer Science, and then much later, CSAIL, you could get tenure and respect merely by publishing one really good paper a year at SOSP, ASPLOS, ... Today, you have to have your name on 5-10 student-produced papers per year, get grants or contracts to support all your students renewed every year, ... and hopefully find grad students to teach all your classes for you.

The NIT News Office is huge today. It's people maintain their jobs by finding and promoting any little timely idea. (a few years ago, MIT publicized "wireless power" as  a breakthrough, without any technical details of the limitations imposed by physical reality on the idea of transmitting power using a 1 MHz RF radiator and pickup in a room. But hey, a lot of reporters picked it up and put MIT's name in the papers.

This is because there is no funding for academic research, basically. Neither industry nor government thinks they need to pay for this stuff. So instead, a travesty has been made of much research in academia by the need to self-promote. And "everyone does it".

The result is that zillions of results are published under the good name of MIT or other institutions, but the reader has to evaluate for themselves whether the results are useful.

I hate this. But I have a lot of sympathy, a great deal of sympathy, for those trapped in that system.

I'm lucky. I can do my own research in my own home lab. If I want, I can publish on the Internet, for free. But I only feel a need to do that if the result is worth publishing. I don't have to prematurely publish a half-baked idea and get it through skeptical referees. Instead, I can just polish and give a finish to the ideas so it is worth reading about.

That was what publishing a computer science paper used to be about. There was about one conference that mattered in one's field - in my case SIGOPS. And only really good papers got published. If you couldn't publish there, you didn't. And you could still get tenure.