[Make-wifi-fast] some review needed

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:53:08 EDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:00 AM Tim Higgins <tim at timhiggins.com> wrote:

> On 4/12/2020 1:17 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests-11
>
> I'm more interested in testing with actual APs and STAs than simulators.

 Me too! Also, trying to figure out where a standardized test and
testing environment veers from reality too much.

> What are folks using to generate RTP video traffic for testing?

I've only begun to research this subject again. Back in the good ole
days (2002!)
I worked on asterisk and had a ton of rtp tools. Today, all the rtp
information is
encrypted so you can't get at it easily unless you instrument your own server.

There's been some really good webrtc work I've begun to look over -
everything from
janus from meetecho, to jitsi, to BBB, to something juliusz just
whipped up over the weekend.

and I had at one point (2014?) worked on google congestion control for
rmcat and kind of understood how both NADA and scream were supposed to
work.

> The spec seems light on expected results for Wi-Fi cases.
>
> 3.2.4, bullet 1: "The end-to-end delay and packet loss ratio experienced by each flow should be within an acceptable range for real-time multimedia applications". And what would those be?
> It also specs no video stats, like dropped frames

I can't say it's that much of an rfc either. I vastly prefer ieee
802.11 specs to ietf's, and
in part, why flent exists, was to actually be able to look hard at
this kind of stuff.

But the place for feedback is on the relevant ietf list, it's just
that sometimes easier to get
the attention of experts, here....