[Make-wifi-fast] [Bloat] [Cake] New board that looks interesting

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 18:48:46 EST 2020

I have, finally.  It's been running for a week or so, now.

OpenWRT was an _adventure_.  The board is UEFI, not standard bios.  And
while it will merrily boot OpenWRT's non-uefi images off of USB, it won't
boot the non-UEFI setup from the internal storage (I'm using the eMMC).  So
_that_ was fun (and I made some dumb mistakes that were especially fun to
correct.

But it's running OpenWRT 19.07 (and a UEFI bootloader before grub that's
from ToT OpenWRT).

Anyway, I have cake running, 950Mbps ingress and 35Mbps egress (modem is
provisioned at 1.3G ingress, and a bit over 35Mbps egress).  fq_codel was
defaulted, in multi-queue mode.  While I'm using cake on ingress, my local
link hasn't been hitting the limiter very often:

                Tin 0
  thresh        950Mbit
  target          1.5ms
  interval       30.0ms
  pk_delay         22us
  av_delay          9us
  sp_delay          2us
  backlog            0b
  pkts        243608193
  bytes    250748364896
  way_inds     13167720
  way_miss      1245030
  way_cols            0
  drops            1075
  marks             101
  ack_drop            0
  sp_flows            0
  bk_flows            1
  un_flows            0
  max_len         69876
  quantum          1514

Given that most of the hosts that I interact with are only about 10-15ms
away, I'm probably going to change the interval target to better match that.

Interestingly, while it has a pair of multiqueue NICs (i211s), the igbe
driver isn't configuring them for RSS.  Both output queues are being used,
but not the ingress queues:

wan interface:
     tx_queue_0_packets: 56635989
     tx_queue_1_packets: 39777210
     rx_queue_0_packets: 243646072
     rx_queue_1_packets: 0

lan interface:
     tx_queue_0_packets: 85047897
     tx_queue_1_packets: 162004500
     rx_queue_0_packets: 111174855
     rx_queue_1_packets: 0

Since I have housemates that don't appreciate me messing with the network
during their meetings, I haven't gotten around to poking more deeply at
that (or at experimenting with running cake on two ingress queues).

That being said, I bench-tested this before I put it into operation and was
able to see 940Mbps of iperf goodput through cake and NAT...  Took all of a
core, though (and that core was still cold and therefore potentially able
to boost to 2.5GHz).  I haven't determined how long it will take to
thermally throttle, and if bandwidth suffers as a result.

Pretty happy with it so far, though.