[Bloat] the future belongs to pacing

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Sat Jul 4 13:29:02 EDT 2020

Be aware that BBR is a moving target.   There was an important WiFi fix
that went into BBRv1 in Jan 2019 that didn't make it into lots of
distros...   BBRv2 is in the wings and fixes (nearly?) all sharing issues,
but isn't done yet.

Key takeaway: pacing is inevitable, because it saves large content
providers money (more efficient use of the most expensive silicon in the
data center, the switch buffer memory), however to use pacing we walk away
from 30 years of experience with TCP self clock, which is the foundation of
all of our CC research....

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

We must not tolerate intolerance;
       however our response must be carefully measured:
            too strong would be hypocritical and risks spiraling out of
control;
            too weak risks being mistaken for tacit approval.