[Bloat] the future belongs to pacing

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Sun Jul 5 13:07:41 EDT 2020

The consensus in the standards community is that 3168 ECN is not so useful
- too late to protect small queues, too much signal (gain) to use it
to hint at future congestion.    The point of non-3168 ECN is to permit
earlier gentle signalling.   I am not following the ECN conversation, but
as stated at recent IETFs, the ECN code in BBRv2 is really a placeholder,
and when the ECN community comes to consensus on a standard, I would expect
BBR to do the standard.

Tor has its own special challenge with traffic management.   Easy solutions
leak information, secure solutions are very hard.   Remember to be useful,
the ECN bits need to be in the clear.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

We must not tolerate intolerance;
       however our response must be carefully measured:
            too strong would be hypocritical and risks spiraling out of
control;
            too weak risks being mistaken for tacit approval.