[Make-wifi-fast] Higher latency on upload under poor signal conditions

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Jun 16 07:08:29 EDT 2020

Hi Michael,

> On Jun 16, 2020, at 12:18, Michael Yartys via Make-wifi-fast <make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>

> From: Michael Yartys <michael.yartys at protonmail.com>
> Subject: Higher latency on upload under poor signal conditions
> Date: June 16, 2020 at 12:18:38 GMT+2
> To: "make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net" <make-wifi-fast at lists.bufferbloat.net>
>

> Hi
>
> I decided to run some 8-stream TCP tests at the edge of the range of my WiFi network, and I noticed that I get higher latency when I run an upload compared to a download. The latency when downloading is pretty steady at right above 30 ms, and when I run the upload it hovers around 80-100 ms. I think I know why this happens, but I would like to read the opinion of the mailing list.

	My naive guess would be that air-time fairness by the AP only directly affects the AP's own transmissions, the stations will in all likelihood not have an fq_codel instance in its wifi-stack (I could be wrong, but I do not believe that the 7260ac intel card actually uses airtime fairness yet/at all). So the 80-100ms might just come from the default wifi parameters which typically are adjusted for peak thoughput instead of a balanced throughput latency under load set-point. Then again that is my _guess_, so Kruger-Dunning might apply.

Best Regards
	Sebastian