[Make-wifi-fast] Bufferbloat on Norwegian train wifi

Michael Yartys michael.yartys at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:14:32 EDT 2020

Wow, those are some truly crappy networks!

I'll try to contact Vy to get them to do something about it. I wonder how much of this might be due to the equipment on their trains though. I decided to measure the bufferbloat on the LTE network in my neighbourhood, and on average I got 300 ms above baseline while running an 8-stream TCP download. Then again, I ran this test with my phone acting as a hotspot, and the results might be affected by that. Does anybody know if this methodology produces reliable results? I presume that even the very short peak of 86 Mbps shouldn't really cause much WiFi-related bufferbloat.

Michael