[Make-wifi-fast] tuning up the ath10k in the ubnt products

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 12:17:48 EDT 2020

As debris from the original project, I had a half dozen ubnt mesh
(pro, lite, mesh) boxes, "bricked", and I'd felt at the time the only
way to bring them back to life was to solder a header onto each and
recreate them via the serial port. I'd disassembled a bunch but my
tired old eyes wouldn't let me get the dang pins back on easily.

It turns out that the "reflash the OEM firmware" method,  "just
works". (see near the bottom of:
https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifiac ) -

w00t! now that the basic AQL support has landed (yesterday) for the
ath10k-ct in openwrt I was kind of inspired to do a build of my own,
folding back in things I cared about that aren't in the default build
(babel, dnsmasq-dnssec).

The PTSD from all that time "having to build the donuts'... barely had
time to kick in. time for some comparative benchmarks!

and who knows? perhaps I'll (we'll?) get around to

* cutting the codel target to something less on 5ghz
* Fiddling with sce and trying out the optimizations in fq_codel_fast
* Getting back on top of the iwl (specifically ax200) products
* poking into multi-core shaping
* etc (for a large value of etc. Has source specific ipv6 RA landed
anywhere yet? dns-sd?)

Elsewhere... Trying to get more ubnt edgerouter folk to try cake...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/fqmrxt/smart_queue_speed_setting/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/fp70rh/combatting_bufferbloat/

Thx lochnair for getting the build server back up

--
Make Music, Not War

Dave Täht
CTO, TekLibre, LLC